Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Broadcast Engineering Finds New Home At TV Technology



This post has to do with a little known publication known as Broadcast Engineering. A free, ad-supported publication aimed a the broadcast television engineer and technicians, like myself. The magazine came monthly to my desk in the Master Control room. I once wrote for the magazine... well four articles, then I realized the demand and time crunch was too high to add to my full-time job. Feel free to read an article.

Cover of October 2013 issue of Broadcast Engineering. Maybe the last issue.
Maybe the last issue of Broadcast Engineering
It was not until today that I discovered that the magazine had been acquired by New Bay Media, the publisher of a competing publication, TV Technology. After digging through TV Technology’s archive, I found an article dated January 7th, 2014 that provides a brief note about the acquisition. This left me wondering as to the fate of my articles published on the Broadcast Engineering website. I searched and found that they are still alive, under the TV Technology branding.

It is sad and yet expected to note that the magazine was consumed without much notice. In a tweet dated October 25th, 2013, @BE_magazine announced that Broadcast Engineering will no longer be published. After 54 years of publication, the magazine ceased and it was announced in a tweet! 


Not a sign of the things to come in the media industry but more of a death nail. All those signs have been waving wildly since 2007 and those of us in the broadcast television industry who have stuck around despite such warnings are now witnessing the fatalities and counting the bodies. Probably not long until mine is piled up on the heap also.

In the face of such odds, we’ll keep marching on as always, making sure the signals reach the viewers, or at least until some other road opens up somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment